Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Elote Loco - Andale!

I've found a food that could become an addiction and/or a slow but delicious death.

My mom and I finally made it to the Taco Truck on 16th at the right time. It makes its debut at dusk.  Rolling into the parking lot, the owners slide open the the service window and set-up a few plastic chairs and tables. They're ready for business.

                                            

We were the first to arrive.  I had eaten in four other countries during the previous 24 hrs so I wasn't very hungry.  I thought I'd keep it simple and choose a beef taco and one serving of the Elote Loco.


I'll get straight to the point and not waste your time with flowery words or poetry. Be in line on Friday night at dusk!  Be the first to get there and order the "Elote Loco".  Tell them I sent you!  I have not stopped thinking about that corn since I took my first bite under the street light in the parking lot of El Mariachi!!  Yes, Yes, the tacos were great, but if I were you I'd just make the Elote the main course and have a taco later!

Here she is on the left...isn't she lovely?




One of the chefs from the truck came out to take a few photos for us, but I'm not posting those. This isn't about me, it's about the experience, not to mention . . . my mom would kill me!

I asked him what goes into this intoxicating corn and he gave me a list of these low-fat and healthy ingredients:

Corn,  butter, cotija (Mexican cheese), mayonnaise, chili powder, red pepper, parmesan cheese and a lime.  

All of these ingredients are layered on top of the corn then you stir it together before eating.
The combination is rich and savory with a bite!  Something about the chili and red pepper makes it "loco bueno"!  If you come to my house for Thanksgiving this year, it's going to have a Latino twist.

I thought you might enjoy the view from our table.  If you've been following
along, then you may recognize the restaurant across the street.
On Sunday I rummaged through the pantry for something  to eat.  I thought of the corn from Friday night's visit to Mexico (via Guatemala) and would've gotten in my car and driven across town to get some.  However, they are not parked at El Mariachi at that time of the day.  I'm assuming they only work at night.  If I'm wrong about this, please refrain from telling me. I don't want the luxury of knowing that I can eat this goodness whenever I get a craving.

And then it dawned on me.  I had frozen corn in the fridge and all the fixins except the cotija cheese.  I added extra Parmesan.

The End,
Jenn

The first person to name the restaurant across the street in the picture above will win a prize!
Sorry, Mom you can't guess.  You were there and you're family.

                                      





No comments: