Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Brief Stop in Cambodia

My stop in Cambodia was brief.  I've not been able to find much in regard to the country here in Oklahoma.  So when I found the Lotus Restaurant in Lawton that offered Vietnamese, Thai and Cambodian cuisine, I opted on calling this stop Cambodia.  I have the luxury of choosing which country is represented while doing this type of travel. There are so many Vietnamese and Thai restaurants that I'll have trouble picking when I visit those countries.

A side note:


Just this month, the trial of  Kaing Guek Eav or Duch was in the news.  A former Khmer Rouge prison chief who oversaw crimes of savagery during the killing fields regime over thirty years ago.  He was given only a 19 year sentence for these heinous crimes reminding us of the continual injustice occurring in Cambodia.  Please remember  the people as they work to rebuild a more just and prosperous nation.


It was late in the afternoon when I stopped so the restaurant had only one other customer.  I asked the woman at the counter which of the many choices were Cambodian and she pointed out three dishes on the menu from which I could choose.  Pepper Steak, Lok Lak and Pickled Green Garden.  I chose the Pickled Green Garden because it sounded the most unique.

So with my new fangled iPhone4G, I took these photos for you.  


You may choose Chicken, Beef, Pork or Shrimp stir-fried with green pickled veggies, tomatoes, white onion, jalapeños in oyster sauce.

Not bad for a phone image and certainly a little more discreet than waving a Canon 5D MKII over your plate with a flash. 
Although the Pickled Greens had a nice fresh flavor, I was disappointed that there weren't more choices.  I found a picture online of a popular delicacy and was hoping I could report back to you with news of finding an authentic Cambodian Restaurant with all the fixins.

Photo Courtesy of Google


I thought a plate of fried tarantulas would be a nice change of pace.  Something light during this heatwave we've been experiencing.  I'm pretty sure these would be better with gravy.

I apologize for not having more to report from Cambodia except that the food and service was great at the Lotus Restaurant in Lawton.  If you have any other suggestions on expanding my experience of Cambodia in Oklahoma, by all means please get in touch with me.  And if you've eaten a tarantula lately, I want to hear about it!

Happy Travels,
Jenn






No comments: