Pages

Saturday, August 07, 2010

Merry Christmas from Russia

Today, I traveled with my partner Lynn . . . the Wary/Weary Nomad.  He's the one in the picture above on the camel behind me.  His favorite trips require little effort and luxurious accommodations.  It's not a vacation if he's sleeping in a tent with wild animals roaming outside or on a roof top with people he doesn't know.  I find these adventures exhilarating!  With my persistent persuasion he reluctantly joins me.

We left the house with no plan and no worries of wild animals.  I had a few ideas on countries we could visit, most of which did not include food.  I've eaten a lot for my first week of travel, so today I just wanted to wander and see what I'd find.

After errands, we stopped in Ancient of Days Antique Store to escape the heat.   While looking around, I came across a large cabinet filled with vibrant hand-carved Santas from Russia.  I asked the sales person if I might photograph them and she obliged.

I have a soft spot for Kris Kringle.  I started my photography business in the loft of an interior  decorating store shooting Father Christmas portraits with children and pets.  I came up with the idea while walking through a mall during the holiday season.  I saw a skinny, 19 year old kid wearing a nappy cotton beard and a red-orange suit.  He held a small child on his knee.  I thought it an injustice to have such a lousy Santa picture as a keepsake of your baby.  I decided in that moment that I was going to do something to make Christmas memories special.  So the following year, I created an authentic Father Christmas for portraits.

As I began pulling each Santa from the glass case, I noticed the intricate hand-painted designs.  The colors and patterns brilliant and unique giving each of the figurines an individual quality.  The artists had paid specific attention to even the tiniest of details.











As I write this post, Russia is experiencing a record breaking heatwave and massive wildfires.  Many lives have already been lost.  My thoughts go out to the people who are suffering in hopes that they will soon find relief with rain and cooler temperatures.


Всего хорошего (All the best),
The Lucky Nomad

If you would like  to see these brilliant Santas, feel free to visit Ancient of Days Antique Mall.  Ask for Debbie and tell her I sent you.  

Ps-The Santas were 20% off when I was there:).

 www.ancientofdaysantiquemall.com
5129 North Western Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK - (405) 842-2115



2 comments:

Becky Downing Bartsch said...

These are amazing pieces of art! Happy travels!

Jennifer J. Parker said...

Thanks Becky for coming along!