Pages

Friday, August 06, 2010

The "Mexican" Taco Truck



I set out on Friday evening for Mexico.  With so many choices in Oklahoma to experience Mexican culture, I wanted to find something uniquely authentic.

I made a plan with my mom to head to the El Mariachi Super Mercado on 16th.  It's a grocery store where I stop on occasion to buy ripened tomatoes, mangos and avocados.  I had noticed a taco truck parked there on Friday and Saturday nights with a small group of customers congregated outside it's sliding window.  This would be our version of street food in Mexico . . . Olé!

We arrived around 7:45 pm. Only the sun beat down on the corner of the parking lot where the truck normally sits.  No tacos.  This was a wrench in my plans, but a relief to my mom based by the ease I saw in her expression.  She was hesitant about our  little "over the border adventure" but still she agreed to come along.

I took a few photos of the Supermercado and began looking around for an alternative.  Behind me on the corner was a small bright restaurant, with concrete tables out front.  On the sign above the door read, Cocina Guatelinda . . . authentic Guatemalan food.  Next door was a small market, Tiende Guatalinda.   I felt like  Clark Griswold in European vacation when he's stuck in the London round-about circling Big Ben.  I was circling on 16th St  hearing, "Guatemala, look Guatemala".  We went inside.



Our server, Andrea, is the daughter of the owners.  She's bright, cheerful and happy to share any details of the menu or culture with customers.  She described the different dishes and made recommendations.

I recognized the word Pacaya on the menu and  asked her about it.  She said it's a little bitter for her taste.  However, most of their Guatemalan customers like it.  I mentioned my first impression of it looking like Octopus tentacles.  She agreed and said she had described them the same way.  I felt a little better about my previous post on the tropical blossom.

I ordered the Enchiladas Guatemaltecas and my mom, the Carne Guisades.  We drank the local Hibiscus tea and ate handmade corn tortillas.

Enchiladas Guatemaltecas are more like a Mexican Tostadas. These are topped with beef, pickled beets
and vegetables, cheese, salsa, onion and a hard boiled egg.  A great summer dish, light and tasty.

Carne Guisada is a nice beef stew with potatoes.  Served here with potato salad and black beans.

Red Hibiscus tea.


                                    

Just as we began our dinner, the taco truck pulled up and parked for service.  I told Andrea about my "Around the World in 80 Days" project and that tonight was supposed to be authentic Mexican street tacos. She then informed me that the "Mexican Taco Truck" is run by Guatemalans and the "El Mariachi Super Mercado" is owned by an Asian man.
Hmmm . . . I wonder if a man by the name of Rodrigues owns the "Chinese Super Buffet".

Adios Amigos,
La Nomade Afortunado


No comments: