Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Phileas Fogg and His Delays...

I have been delayed.  Not by the same sort of obstacles as Phileas Fogg but of a more modern nature . . .  technology . . . and the fact that I am not a wealthy British man wagering a bet on this journey.  I am a working woman, wealthy in many ways, but not like Mr. Fogg.  I have to keep this camel going and when the work comes I must take it.  Therefore, I have had time to visit a few places but not time to share them with you.

Technology is a constant obstacle.  I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with it.  Most of the time it works and I am thrilled to be using it.  However, when it doesn't my life is miserable.

Let me tell you about  my newest gadget, the iPhone 4, and how I've dragged my feet in getting it.  I've wanted an iPhone for a very long time.  The Wary Nomad is on his third. We have  extras laying around so I have no excuse not to be using one. I know it's ridiculous.

However, it's not that I didn't want to spend the money.  It had to do with leaving my carrier.  We've been together through bag phones, brick phones, Nokia phones, flip phones, etc.  I just couldn't stand the thought of switching.  Even their company slogan is "When loyalty counts".  About the time I would decide to change, I'd see one of their vans with those words and think "How can I switch?  I've been with them since the early nineties".

And yes, I could have gotten a different Smart Phone but everything I have is Apple.  So it just seemed like a better idea to have a phone that syncs with all of my other technology.   One big Apple family.

Now that I am officially an iPhone 4 user, I'm excited, frustrated and feeling a little guilty.  When I signed up for my AT&T account, I didn't even have to tell my current carrier that I was leaving them.  I just hit "confirm" and they were deleted.  It's like sending a text to break-up.  We'd been together almost 20 years . . . longer than my first marriage . . . and we never argued.  I had nothing but great things to say about them.  I wonder if they're hurt or disappointed.  They're probably saying, "We treated her so well and she just clicked the button and that's it, she's through with us."

To celebrate my new purchase I thought I'd take a photo of my dog Buddy and post it on my blog.  Now that I have this new-fangled technology, I can upload my pics while I'm living the adventure.  And yes, these pictures could've been better if I'd figured out that the reason my flash wasn't working so well was because I still had the plastic backing on my phone.  Once I realized this, he was bored and wouldn't let me take another photo of him.


As you can see by the look on Buddy's face, he's sad about the old flip phone being tossed aside . . . along with our "loyal carrier".  It takes us a little while to adjust to change.
  
I'll be resuming my travels full force on Thursday of this week.  I'm headed to Chile, The Philippines, and maybe Korea all before Friday.  

Hopefully,  I'll have my work caught-up and my phone figured out so I can keep moving along on this journey.

Thanks for checking in with me!
Jenn

No comments: