Pages

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Octopus Tentacles


These jars labeled "Pacaya" look a bit like they contain octopus tentacles. 
Okay, they may not  look like that to you. . . but unless you're from Guatemala I'm sure you didn't guess Date Palm Blossoms.  I would have considered guessing tripe long before blossoms.

I find myself intrigued by what's on the shelves in foreign markets.   Yet anxiety, over the thought that I may be wasting not only money but an entire evening over a dinner that would eventually be thrown out, keeps me from buying anything.  Had I not inquired about these exotic creatures, I would've eaten them right out of the jar like pickles, brine water and all. 
This might have ruined any chance I had for developing a taste for Pacaya.

So to broaden my horizons and my dinner menu at home, I asked Jeremy how to prepare them.  He took me to the kitchen to meet Consuelo...


where she gave me a demonstration.



Take the blossoms out of the jar and rinse to remove the brine water.  Dip them in a batter of egg and flour.  Now fry.  If I remember correctly, they serve a chili sauce on the side.  I would smother them in Green Mole Sauce.

The fried blossom is the one on the right and on the left is a chile relleno.  
 I don't have to be anxious anymore.  I know how to prepare Pacaya and an octopus doesn't have tentacles . . . it has arms.

Adios Amigos,
La Nomade Afortunado


No comments: