Pages

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Dinner with the Queen of Sheba



I celebrated my birthday with the Queen of Sheba.  Okay, she wasn't really there.  But I've peaked your curiosity.

I had a lovely stay in Guatemala but knew I had to move on or I'd never make it  "Around the World in 80 Days."  Global travel, never leaving Oklahoma, is far less stressful than traditional travel without the airline delays or cramped seating.  I can hop from country to country within a 24 hour period never having jet-lag.

It may seem unusual to choose Ethiopian food for your birthday dinner if you're not from Ethiopia, but in our family ethnic food has become a tradition.  We've prepared Indian food on Christmas eve, tacos for birthdays and Chinese over Thanksgiving.  Food is our source of travel when we can't leave home.

During football season we would eat on campus corner. While the majority of fans were drinking beer and eating burgers on tailgates or in pubs, we ate Chicken Korma, Beef Vindaloo or the occasional Moo Shu Pork.

We would leave the heat of the stadium, walk the few blocks to the Masala Indian Restaurant and find our way into the cool dark setting.  Seated among sequined pillows, colorful hand-painted frames on mirrors and lanterns hanging over the tables gave me the feeling of being transported to an exotic land.  While waiting on our food, we drank tea with lemon and rosewater breathing in the thick fragrant smell of curry and cumin.

This year for my birthday I wanted to add another memory to the collection of many.  A birthday steeped in color, texture, and taste. And because I love Africa, The Queen of Sheba had everything.










This is the Queen of Sheba Messob.  A plate of lamb, chicken, beef, salad, green beans, lentils and corn.  The seasonings are unique and unlike other cuisines.


My favorite foods are eaten by hand without utensils sharing one large plate.
It's more intimate and engaging as you take turns pinching up food with injera bread.


A spongy crepe-like bread made with teff flour.




The pace in Africa is slow and restful.   The people, warm and generous.  This is reminiscent of The Queen of Sheba.  A cool and quiet retreat from the hot summer.

Thanks Dad for the birthday dinner and another fond memory!

Betam amesegënallô,
The Lucky Nomad

No comments: